Wednesday 24 February 2010

musicology #500

SoulBoy #19

(Sam Cooke – Somebody Ease My Troublin’ Mind)

LISTEN

milestone on themusicologist…500 cuts and still haven’t even scratched the surface of the vaults !! here’s hoping that you cats and kittens have enjoyed the journey so far. how long will it last? who knows…but I’ll keep spinning as long as I’m able. When I took the first step on this musical journey I had no idea where it would lead. I just felt that the time had come to communicate with the world and open up a dialogue with my heart, soul and mind using the most effective language that I know…the sweet sounds of music. What is it about music that leaves such a deep impression? I don’t know but there have been many books written, lectures, discussions and debates around tables, on street corners, in bars, classrooms and hallowed halls for generation after generation and still there are no definitive explanations, such is the power of frequency and especially harmony to resonate deep within us and touch the soul in ways that, at least for me, nothing else comes close to reaching other than that elusive feeling words can’t describe, Love…

I was going to wax lyrical and go right into ‘one’ but, (and I don’t know for sure why?), to be brutally honest with you today’s cut nails the way I have been feeling these last few days courtesy of the one artist who, for me, stands above all others..The Lion, Mr Soul…Sam Cooke without whom the music we now call Soul may not have emerged and even if it did definitely wouldn’t have been the same. Recorded in 1964 not long before the curtain closed on the troubled last few years of his short life. Sung in such a way that it leaves no doubt why the Lion is known as Mr Soul…The man who put the Soul in Soul….what a F***in’ TUNE, (excuse the profanity but the piece always brings me to my knees and trembles my marrow)

No comments: