Monday 22 February 2010

musicology 499

SoulBoy #18

(Bobby Womack – Tried and Convicted)

LISTEN

Final week of the Soul theme and who better as far as themusicologist is concerned to bring us down the final furlong than one of my most cherished artists Bobby Womack. As I have mentioned before, along with Curtis Mayfield it was Bobby Womack who had the most influence on a young child running wild on the streets of South London in the 1970’s. Cuts like I Can Understand It, If You Want My Love, O.V Wright’s That’s The Way I Feel About Cha, Stop On By, A Woman’s Got To Have It, Communication, (to name a few)…are all integral parts of the soundtrack to my existence. In fact often when I hear, (early 70’s), Bobby, Curtis, Bill Withers, Stevie and Marvin I can view the world through the eyes of a child once more. Music does that for me like nothing else can. I don’t think of what I was doing or wearing to identify the stepping stones in my life it’s ALWAYS what I was listening to and no doubt always will be. So without further delay, (and before I get all misty eyed), hold this late 60’s slice of the Bobby Womack pie recorded for and released on the, (New Orleans powerhouse), Minit Label. Produced by Chips Moman

No comments: