Thursday 21 January 2010

musicology #479

PoliceAndThieves #4

(NWA – Fuck The Police)

LISTEN

So much to do and so little time in which to do…the bane of the 21st Century and as we move deeper into the ‘Age Of Insecurity’ the question I sometimes find myself asking is

“what the f**k is it all about” and by ‘it’ I mean existence…is it a game “full of sound and fury signifying nothing” or does it have any deeper meaning. If truth be told, (and I have said it before), for me it does have meaning and it isn’t a game..games are for playing while I believe that life is for living.

What has this got to do with the current theme..not much. Just the way I’m rolling today…I Feel good, great in fact and I just wanted to share it with you.

While searching and scanning themusicologist vaults for cuts about Police and Thieves I have concluded that musically, Thieves barely get a mention. I think Foucault wrote a book about society’s fascination with villains, (which I will have to procure for the library), but they are not well represented in musicology whereas the police on the other hand are.

Today’s cut needs no introduction..borrowed from seminal 1988 album ‘Straight Outta Compton’ featuring the harmonious talents of Ice Cube, Mc Ren, Eazy-E, Dr Dre and DJ Yella

No comments: