Monday 4 January 2010

musicology #467

2LegendsClash II #3

(Billie Holiday – Pennies From Heaven)

LISTEN

Apologies for yesterday’s absence. Truth is I am feeling low and was unable to find whatever it is in me that makes themusicologist happen. For a few reasons life is on me like a concrete suit at the moment and even though I tried most of the day to post a cut both the words and the music eluded me so today I’m just going to lay a slice down, try not to get too wrapped up in the language of my solitude and let the two legends speak. But before Billie steps up for today’s piece of musicology hold this quote from nightclub owner Barney Josephson who was quoted to have said about her

”She never had a really big voice-it was small…..like a bell that rang and went a mile..”

Recorded for Brunswick in New York on November 1936 featuring Teddy Wilson & Orchestra; (Jonah Jones, Benny Goodman, Ben Webster, Allan Reuss, John Kirby and Cozy Cole)

1 comment:

whiteray said...

Man, I've been there. I hope you find your way out soon. It's odd. I just finished a post about the music that brings me comfort whenever I find myself there. It's at http://niagaseohce.wordpress.com/ if you're interested.