Saturday 20 March 2010

musicology #520

Randoms #3

(Errol Dunkley – A Little Way Different)

LISTEN

Apparently it was 3 years ago that themusicologist stepped into the global arena in an attempt to communicate. 3 years later and I’m still trying. SO much water has gone under the bridge since then it almost seems like I have lived at least three lives. In fact the ONLY constant in my life has been the music. Companions on the journey who I thought would be there for the duration have stepped off and significant others have stepped in. I suppose that is the way it has to be. Nothing lasts forever, (other than music of course)

The journeys soundtrack along the way has been just as hill and gully as the existence itself..sometimes so raw that I wince when I listen but there’s no taking it back, (nor would I want to), so I’ll just keep rolling out the message and let the dialogue unfold naturally as it always has and most likely will be.

Today’s messenger is the majestic Errol Dunkley a cat who first sung his way into the musicologist’s heart and mind with his 1966 cut, at the crossroads between Ska and Rocksteady), ‘Love Me Forever’ but it’s this one that I identify him with. The TOP ranking ‘A Little Way Different’. This version is the 12″ rather than the Sonia Pottinger produced 1972 original. Both equally superb in their own right.

No comments: