Sunday 10 May 2009

musicology #372

SuchIsLife #6

(Bill Withers – World Keeps On Going Around)

LISTEN

Final slice of the SuchIsLife theme…which for me have been less demanding mentally than the two that preceeded it so I’m almost tempted to stick with it but, there’s a subject that I would like to share that is not only close to my heart but has informed the I since birth and that subject is ‘Modernist’. I’ll say no more about it until tomorrow when it kicks off.

Back to today though and what more authentic way to finish than with this cut from a Cat whose influence on themusicologist stretches way back to the early seventies when as a toddler he was often to be heard, (along with Bobby Womack, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder), drifting out of the speakers. Especially this 1973 album ‘Live At Carniege Hall’ which has been etched into my consciousness from the age of 4. Exceptional album from an exceptional Lyricist, Singer, Social Commentator and Performer. Still moves me and always will..every slice a winner. Not often that themusicologist makes recommendations but if you get the chance buy this album.

No comments: