Saturday 25 April 2009

musicology #0361

Ideology&Philosophy #2

(Billie Holiday - Getting Some Fun Out Of Life)

LISTEN

Looks like we may be in for the long haul again on this theme ! although this is NOT going to be about the history of western Philosophy more like the history of Philosophy that has influenced themusicologist or definitions of concepts that I believe are critical to living in this mis-information age..so maybe it won't turn into an epic. Either way the 'musical diary' will be left open for those who have eyes and ears to see and hear.

But before we get into round two I just want to let all the Cats know that 'The Project' is picking up momentum so I am, (and have been), very busy trying my best to walk on water, which is hard work but once you get used to it it's like riding a bike..you get on, you fall off, you get back on again until one day you're riding down the street pulling wheelies shouting "Look ma...no hands" !!

I'm not there yet but for me belief is more powerful than fear in the same way that love is more powerful than hate and as a 'believer' there is no way negativity will dominate the one life I have to live.

Today's dialogue, (of course strictly speaking it's a monologue but I hope that dialectic comes from it), says a few more words about Greek philosophy, (which was in fact the first step on themusicologist's journey to knowledge of the self after reading a short book by Plato called 'The Trials Of Socrates') . The way I have interperated it Socrates was the first in the western world, (on record), to question everything which, at the time was quite monumental. Up until then people, (at least the majority), just accepted whatever the dogma was and placed little importance on evaluation. Socrates through Plato, (or the other way around), challenged almost everything that was said to him in an effort to question the meaning of words. When I first read this small book I found this to be in synchronicity with my own feelings on such matters and armed with the bare minimum of formal education was able to follow Plato without trying. This important discovery helped me to realise how important it was for me, (and in know way am I trying to convince anyone else), how critical Philosophy is in making sense of the world I find myself in so the following extract is a very brief introduction to some of the thoughts contained in such a valuable discipline. By the way I'm by no means a disciple of Plato or any of the Greeks but it was where the journey started.

The music is a cut from a female singer who for me is one of the most important interperators of the 20th Century, Billie Holiday who also happens to be one of my earliest teachers on the subject of expressiong emotions. A 1937 slice originally recorded on Vocalion. Backed up on the session by the legendary Buck Clayton, Buster Bailey, Lester Young, Claude Thornhill, Freddie Green, Walter Page and Jo Jones almost all of whom featured heavily in creating the backbone of the great Count Basie Band. The Painist, (strangely), is uncredited but it could only be one of two, the majestic Teddy Wilson or the 'Count' himself.

No comments: