Friday 5 December 2008

musicology #250

birthdaybashsoul&funk #5

(Red Hot + Riot - Sade - By Your Side CottonBelly Remix)

LISTEN

having heard from a few of the big guns that tore up the dancefloors during London's 'rare groove' scene of the mid 80's it's time for a slice of the 'close to my heart' selection that was thrown down by me at the birthdaybash. One of the, (many), things I enjoyed about the 'bash' was the opportunity to play the music that I wanted to hear. Normally when 'playing out' the brief is to play a certain groove....whether that be Boogie, Funk, House, Reggae but not a cross section. Also the DJ is under pressure as the entertainer apoun who the 'night' relies. The Bash on the other hand was no pressure and more of a musical 'journey to the self' which I enjoyed immensely.

Anyway...the cut in question is the 'Cottonbelly', (Stuart Mathewman), remix of Sade's 'By Your Side' for the tribute to Fela Red Hot + Riot project. For me one of the best pieces of 'modernista' around that not only communicates the message, In Spades, but also 'trembles me marrow' whenever I have the pleasure of feeling it. themusicologist is a BIG fan of Sade and Fela Kuti, (who also got a spin on the night), and to combine his legendary spirit, Sade's beautiful lyrics and vocal performance with Stuart Mathewman's production is a genuine musical treat.

"You think I'd leave your side baby?...you know me better than that,
think I'd leave you down when you're down on your knees?...I wouldnt do that,
I'll tell you you're right when you want, and if only you could see into me,
when you're on the outside and you can't get in I will show you, you're so much better than you know,
when you're lost, you're alone, can't get back again, I will find you darling and I will bring you home,

ooohh when youre cold i'll be there hold you tight to me,
ooohh when youre alone i'll be there by your side..."

No comments: