Saturday 10 May 2008

musicology #145

SpectrumOfLove #5

(Bobby Womack - That's The Way I Feel About 'Cha)

LISTEN

todays cut comes from one of themusicologists foundation artists who didn't feature in the sixsixsix only because Curtis and Sam Cooke took the top two 'Soul' spots, but this cat runs them both all the way..

the album this is taken from, (I Can Understand It), played a BIG part in my 'education'. I know it so well that the track order is part of my unconscious. I know every tune and almost every note and word on it...back to front. for me every cut is a winner and to choose one is almost impossible but I'm going with this one, first released on his 'Communication album' in 1971, as it may go some way to explaining my attitude to affairs of the heart, (especially as music has ALWAYS been my primary guide). I would have been about 5 years old when I first heard it and I have been listening to it ever since...

"ha, you know life is funny when you look at it,
everybody wants love but everybody's afraid of love,
you know I'm a true believer of that,

if you get anything out of life,
you got to put up with the toils and strife

now listen...

your'e pushing my love a little bit too far,
I don't think you know, I don't think you know how blessed you are,
and your friend Annie Mae, tell you all she see,
have you ever thought she was trying to get close to me,

think it over, think it over girl, think it over,
look..thats the way I feel about 'cha,
and if that's being weak for you darling,
I dont mind, I dont mind, I dont mind, I don't mind,
thats the way I feel about 'cha, (wooohhh)
that's the way I feel about 'cha,

please, please, please answer love,
if it ever come knocking at your door,
'cause what's out there knocking baby,
the world don't give enough of, don't give enough of

I know you been hurt, and so have others too,
but all you got to do is think about the changes,
in life have put them through,

lord have mercy, that's just the way it is,

listen..
don't take my love as a sign of weakness,
check into the situation girl, dig a little bit deeper,

that's the way I feel about you yeah,
ohh that's the way, (that's the way I feel about 'cha),
that's the way I feel about cha (oohh lord)
thats the way, that's the way, that's the way I feel about you yeah,
that's the way I feel about you, (I wanna testify this evening),
that's the way I feel about 'cha, (wooooohh)
that's the way I feel about cha,
so if I'm weak for you I don't mind,
that's the way I feel about cha,
let me say it say it say it, say it, say it, say it,
that's the way I feel about cha,"

No comments: