Wednesday 16 April 2008

musicology #129

instrumentalsweek #2

(Mulatu Astatqe - Yegelle Tezeta, (My Own Memory)

LISTEN

been trying to get the ‘early post’ in for the last couple of weeks otherwise my day gets backed up with things to do….this weeks selection looks like providing the opportunity I’ve been waiting for so I’m grabbing it with both hands and flinging this one down when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and my, much loved children are here brightening up the day …

this fine slice of Ethiopian funk was recorded and released in 1969, (available on the Top Ranking CD Ethiopiques #4), and is credited to Ethiopia’s premier musicologist Mulatu Astatqe who arranged, produced and also played on the session along with what sounds like the cream of Ethiopia’s ‘modernists’….

No comments: